18 Oct Can You Clean Vinyl Window Decals?
Clean windows make your business look professional and inviting. Adding vinyl window decals to the mix will make your business even more attractive. But do you know how to clean window clings to make sure they stay looking as fresh as the day you installed them? As vinyl graphics experts, the team at Mousegraphics put together these vinyl decal care instructions to help you get the most out of your window clings.
Vinyl Decal Care Instructions: Do’s and Don’ts
Do Clean the Window Before Installation
In order to make sure your decals last, you must clean the window thoroughly before you install them. Wipe down the window using a clean cloth and rubbing or isopropyl alcohol. Avoid using an ammonia-based cleaner, which can break down adhesives and prevent them from sticking properly.
Don’t Use Harsh Cleaners
Vinyl graphics are very durable, but using harsh chemicals and abrasive cleaners can quickly deteriorate them. All you need to clean your window decals are a mild detergent like dish soap, water, and a clean microfiber cloth. If there are any stubborn spots, gently loosen the dirt using a soft-bristled brush, then wipe it down with a damp cloth.
Do Follow the Right Steps
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to clean window clings properly:
- Spray the cloth with warm, soapy water. Never spray the decal directly—water could collect around the edges and make the vinyl start to peel away from the window.
- Clean a small test area first, to ensure your soap and cloth do not damage the vinyl.
- If you have a perforated window graphic, avoid drenching the decal with soapy water because it could leave a residue in the holes of the design.
- Working from the top down, gently rub the surface of the decal in small, circular motions to remove dirt and debris.
- Wipe the vinyl surface with a clean, dry cloth to remove any remaining water or soap residue.
How Long Do Vinyl Window Graphics Last?
As long as you clean the surface properly before installation and take good care of the decal, your vinyl graphics could last up to seven years. However, graphics that get a lot of direct sunlight may fade in less time.
Laminates can help extend the life of the graphics, but add expense. Generally, if you want your graphics to last more than a year, you should laminate them. Not only will this help reduce fading, it will provide an extra layer of protection from physical damage as well. There are also graffiti-resistant laminates, if your situation requires that level of protection.
Vinyl Window Graphics in Tempe, Arizona
Now that you know how to properly clean your vinyl window clings, it’s time to choose a professional print shop to carry out your design. Mousegraphics in Tempe has been providing high-quality digital print services for over thirty years. We offer a wide range of vinyl wrap and graphics solutions for Arizona businesses, including window clings. Give us a call at 480-894-1992 today to get a quote for your project.